Can we mine two PoW on the same GPU?

is that possible … 2 miners on 2 different node with different algorithms on same PC and same GPU ?

if so what would be the impact ? lower sols for each node ?

When i switch from Equihash/dstm to aion mining i dont stop right away dstm and each miner fight for sol/s lol. I was wondering if it would compensate for smartminer not being efficient.

I have the impression that dstm make my cards run hotter than smartminer so that they reach their full potential.

Anyway, in the end, i dont dual mine with gpus :grin:

I guess we can assign each miner to each core (run in parallel). both miners still competing
GPU resources. Can we assign each miner a portion of GPU ???

Yes in dstm you can choose to exclude gpus and in smartminer too. You can run both in ubuntu at least.

it’s been a while i forget command line syntax ? yes with smartminer we can specify which GPU we want.

I was thinking about specify both GPU for both miners …
it would be interesting to see if the two competing on same resources.
maybe it crashes :slight_smile:

Just for you…

It works on ubuntu at least.

On my 4 x 1080ti rig, if i run dstm and smartminer at the same time :

• smartminer shows 400 sol/s (100 sol/s for each gpu) vs 800/ to 1000/s when it runs alone
  • dstm shows 400 sol/s for each gpu vs 700 sol/s for each gpu when it runs alone.

Not sure there is an interest :thinking::smile:

Just for the technical background.

Generally it is possible to run two or even more miners on the same GPU - all modern GPUs allow this. The question is if this gives a better performance. The answer is: it depends on the concrete algorithm.

Take ethash as an example. This algorithm is purely memory bandwidth and memory latency bounded. Therefore most of the time the GPU’s stream cores are idling around while waiting for the memory to do its work. For this algo its thus a good idea to run an algorithm beside that is only compute bound but that almost does no input / output like sha or blake (sia coin).

Well that works well because the two algorithms almost do not compete in terms of the GPU resources that they require.

Equihash is a bit more complicated. It has in fact two phases (blake2b and Wagners’s collision finding algorithm) that - at least in theory have different characteristics. Blake2b is almost only compute bound while the Wagner algorithm is memory heavy. Furthermore most fast implementations of the Wagner algo are very sensitive on atomic operations and the cache structure and cached writes (thats the only (!) reason why AMD cards are slower on Equihash then Nvidia, because for the greens its easier fill a cache line for writing).
Furthermore both phases often use a lot of registers (and the Wagner phase often also on chip shared memory).

The good news is: for Equi 210/9 there is one Blake2b round with 9 rounds of Wagner algorithm. So it may be possible to run something with low register use, low i/o requirements, no atomic operations but medium to high compute pressure aside without slowing down the aion mining to much. So best pick some other via coin or decreed miner and try to run that aside - that could work.

But i would not recommend to run an other equihash miner beside aion. This is likely to run slower then a single miner, because one more thing: most GPUs can only handle a limited set of addresses to write to without slowing down. Equihash has to do many writes into different buckets. Running two equihash side by side doubles the number of buckets and thus the number of potential write addresses making things slower then one single miner running.

5 Likes

wow … impressive … i must admit i am ignorant on this subject.

if i run cryptonight V7 algo on the same GPU as AION quishash … it won’t effect much ? AION is my number 1 priority.

thanks

great break down. Thanks!